Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Session 3 - 14 August 2013

Fractions.


Fractions.

I had learnt that I need to say 3 tenths instead of 3 over 10 or 3 upon 10 etc. Learning about the different ways which we can solve fractions and not our old usual way where we have to memorize the formula and I remembered during my schooling days, we were told to remember formulas and practice and practice. I always don't understand why on earth I have to remember formulas and I am definitely not good in memorizing things. Just like what Dr Yeap said, Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences does not include the part, memorization intelligence. If I had a chance to ask my teacher then, I would certainly asked and understand why it was done that way during our time.

The Dice Problem


We were given 2 die and need to find out the total hidden numbers from the way we see the die. It was interesting that opposite sides of the dice makes the total value of 7 and there are the different methods and ways to solve the hidden numbers. And it all goes back to the basics when we see a problem and wonder how to solve a problem, we:

1. Generalize the pattern
2. Use visualization
3. Number sense
4. Metacognition


I also learnt that numbers must always go with a unit and what are some of the reasons why children could not count. And as educators, we need to find out the underlying issue or problem that the child if facing instead of ignoring it and think hopefully one day the child will be able to catch up. Providing variation of activities are also important as it will help us understand and have a progressive plan for the children. When we have too many similar or same activities, the children will not be able to build their knowledge but instead, staying at the same spot with no progression.

Professionals develop techniques to allows them to find out the root of the problem. That's for sure.



The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple.  ~S. Gudder

No comments:

Post a Comment